Link Elementary World School is an authorized world school for the International Baccalaureate Organization. To learn more, please visit the Link website.
What is the Primary Years Programme (PYP)
- The PYP is a philosophy and a way of teaching developed by the International Baccalaureate Organization (IBO).
- The IB PYP is unique in that its focus is on the development of the whole child addressing social, physic
al, emotional, and cultural needs in addition to academics.
- Through concept-driven inquiry, students develop their capacity to think critically and to relate the experience of the classroom to the realities of the world outside.
- Beyond intellectual rigor and high academic standards, strong emphasis is placed on the ideals of international understanding and responsible citizenship.
- The IB PYP schools create compassionate citizens for this rapidly changing, complex, and ever-shrinking world.
Why the PYP at Link?
- The IB/PYP is aligned with Link’s 20/20 vision, goals and action plans.
What is a Student Action?
A student action is initiated by the student as an extension of an inquiry that has a social impact both in and outside the school community.
What is The Learner Profile?
Throughout the school year your child will be engaged in the Learner Profile and the Learner Profile Traits. These profiles will be shared with you at home. We encourage you to do the following:
- Post The Learner Profile someplace handy
- Ask your children to share which learner profile and inquiry units they are discussing at school
- Tell your children when they are exhibiting one of the learner profiles
- Engage your child/ren in completing Student Action assignments
The Learner Profile and Traits:
|Communicator||They receive and express ideas and information confidently in more than one language, including the language of mathematical symbols.||Uses their words to share their thinking. Listens to their friends.|
|Risk-taker||They approach unfamiliar situations without anxiety and have the confidence and independence of spirit to explore new roles, ideas, and strategies.They are courageous and articulate in defending those things in which they believe.||Tries new things and is not afraid to make mistakes.|
|Knowledgeable||They have spent time in our schools exploring themes which have global relevance and importance.In so doing, they have acquired a critical mass of significant knowledge.||Tries to learn a lot about himself/herself and the world around them.|
|Thinker||They exercise initiative in applying thinking skills critically and creatively to make sound decisions and to solve complex problems.||Uses their brain to think and ask questions.|
|Inquirer||Their natural curiosity has been nurtured.
They have acquired skills necessary to conduct purposeful, constructive research.They actively enjoy learning and this love of learning will be sustained throughout their lives.
|Is curious and asks questions.|
|Balanced||They understand the importance of physical and mental balance and personal well-being.||Is healthy and takes good care of himself/herself.|
|Reflective||They give thoughtful consideration to their own learning and analyze their personal strengths and weaknesses in a constructive manner.||Thinks back about their learning and makes changes when they can.|
|Principled||They have a sound grasp of the principals of moral reasoning.They have integrity, honesty, and a sense of fairness and justice.||Is a good friend and does the right thing.|
|Open-minded||They respect the views, values, and traditions of other individuals and cultures and are accustomed to seeking and considering a range of points of view.||Listens to others.|
|Caring||They show sensitivity towards the needs and feelings of others.They have a sense of personal commitment to action and service.||Cares about others.|
© Link Elementary 2009
PYP Parent Liaisons
Now that Link has become an authorized World School for the International Baccalaureate Organization and fully implements the PYP (Primary Years Programme), we will be looking for volunteers for the PYP Parent Team. The PYP Parent Team will work to assist the classroom teachers in keeping the Link families informed of any developments with the PYP, upcoming events, parental involvement opportunities in classroom activities, parent workshops, etc. The PYP Parent Team will work in collaboration with Mrs. Danielle Jackson to plan events for the year.